Road Trip Worries

In a little over a week, we will be setting out on our next road trip.  It is a trip "home" to Toledo.  Mark and I have made this trip together many times, but this will be our first time taking the girls.

I am very apprehensive about this trip.

1) The girls' behavior is hit or miss. Sometimes they are fine. Other times they break all the rules, lie, and get upset when they are punished.
2) On our last road trip they were little monsters: Waking up at 4:30 a.m. and then laughing at me when I told them to go back to bed.
3) I worry that this will be the time they ask questions I do not want to answer.


Kids are kids, but these two seem to like to push our limits. They know the rules. They know how we expect them to behave. They know lying isn't acceptable.  Still they chose to break the rules, and then they are all upset when they are punished. They can be quite mean and rude at times. They will be on my home turf: my family, my friends, my hometown. I don't want their impression of the girls to be that they are ill mannered and out of control.

Honestly, I am still not ready to road trip with them again. They made me *so* angry on the last road trip. They were mean, rude and disrespectful. I don't think they are ready for another chance. I know I need to put my big girl panties on and just deal with it. However, there is still that hesitation in the pit of my stomach I cannot get past.

I have managed to avoid some not so pleasant questions in the time Mark and I have been together.
They know both of my parents are dead, but they don't know how they died. We are going to the cemetery, and there is a good chance that will come up. There are other things that they really don't need to know about (nor would I expect them to understand at 6 and 9), and I would rather not have to  get into those details. Will the conversation have to happen eventually? Yes. I would rather it not be now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Best Laid Plans

Trying Something New: ThredUp