Another New Project: The dining room


Today is the day I decided to tackle my dining room. What I thought would be a 1-2 job turned into an almost 6 hour job.

We bought these chairs to go with my grandparents' dining room table.




They are pretty stained, and way too light to have (with kids). The first item of business: recover the seat cushions.


1) First I removed the seats from the chairs. This was the easiest part of the recovering project. Locate the screws on the bottom side of the seat. Removing those frees up the seat, so you can remove the old fabric.



2) This is where I ran into an issue. I discovered that one of the chairs had the original hardware. However, 2 of the chairs had 2  screws that did not match the others at all and one chair only had 2 screws. I dug through my spare hardware container (I just need to buy a tool box), but my closest match wasn't even close.  As you can see in the picture below (right to left: The ones that came with the chair, the ones that we "replacements" and the ones I had that just wouldn't work) there was something not quite right. I thought that the chairs had previously been recovered, but the seats still had their original backing and everything intact.





3) Time to break out the new fabric. We went with dark, stain resistant, and something to give the dining room a color pop. (From Hobby Lobby)


4) Measure twice, cut once. 




4) Now starts the fun part. First: Remove the back meshing (it was stapled on top of the fabric)
5) Remove the old fabric. These cushions were stapled and glued. Boo Hiss. Scissors, flat head screw driver, and probably some language my birds didn't need to hear contributed that that feat.


6) Attach the new fabric with the staple gun. This was an extra challenge because the seats are so padded they would move while I was trying to staple things together.




7) Reattach seats to the chair. This is another challenge. You may remember my issues with putting the seat back on the vanity seat. This was another time where I wish I wasn't the only one at home.





Next it is time to clean up and put a new layer of polyurethane  on the dining room table.

It didn't need re-stained, but it needed a little cleaned up.



I forgot to take a picture of it when it was out on the patio on the drop cloth. A little Liquid Gold and a little sanding, and 2 layers of spray polyurethane later:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rolling With It

Changing Gears

Oakwood Resort: A quick weekend getaway