Dear Freezer: Please Don't Die...until after May18

I came home from work the other night to discover my freezer making odd noises. The fridge was fine. The freezer was still cold, but the fan was making funny noises. Some of the back vent for the fan was frozen over. Maybe that was the issue? I broke off the nice. The fan was still loud, but not quite as much...and it appeared there was *warm* air coming out of the vent. Not a lot of it, but still enough to raise a concern.

I made dinner, and started preparing for my laundry run. Just before I left I checked the freezer again. The fan: still making noise. Still cold: yes. However: I was almost 100% certain the hot air was not my imagination. The remaining ice on the back vent was starting to melt.

I had a two choices:

  1. Completely flip out.
  2. Go. Do my laundry. Check on it when I returned. Hope for the best.
Of course the impulse to  to flip out was there. My  moving date is less than 2 weeks away. My freezer is actually full of pretty much literally every single meal I will consume between that moment and moving day. If the freezer is broken, I am not sure what to do with the food. Nor am I overly thrilled about having to buy replacement food for the items I may have to throw away. Moving is expensive. I have plenty of money for the move, but replacing just under 2 weeks of meals would have an impact on my budget.

Still, I had that hope that maybe I just hadn't shut the door tight enough or there was some other fluke that would work itself out. While Hammitt Luck would dictate that  it would in fact die just to make my life more interesting, maybe today the dumb luck fairies would be on my side.

Apparently, they were. I returned home to zero fan noise and the freezer kicking out colder air that it was before.  This morning: more of the same.

Now I realize this may just be a momentary reprieve. I am not getting my hopes up entirely. I know that she may not be out of the woods and a literal melt down may be coming sooner than later. I can only hope she holds out at least a little bit longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Best Laid Plans

Summer To Do List