It isn't really my thing

It is Valentine's Day.

For the record: While Hallmark has over hyped it and capitalized this holiday, they didn't create it. We can blame the Pagans and the Catholic Church for that.

Full Disclosure: I have never been big into the day. Maybe it is because up until this year I have never had reason to celebrate it. Maybe it is because of my more relaxed nature. I don't know. It just doesn't seem to be a huge deal to me.

For others it is a huge deal. Plans are made well in advance. Gifts are bought and anticipated. Feelings are hurt when a significant other doesn't get it right. If that is your thing, then more power to you. I have no right to judge what will make you happy or how you express your love. It doesn't matter if I don't agree or in some cases think it is overkill. If it works for you, and you can afford it, go for it. Everyone has their own standards, expectations and love languages.

My boyfriend didn't even mention our lack of plans for today until last night and I was surprised he brought it up at all. I don't mean that in an angry way. I wasn't mad, hurt or offended. We don't have plans, and I'm not bothered by that (and our lack of plans isn't because he dropped the ball it is because he has his girls. A significant other can't  be mad about that, and if you are your really are selfish. If your boyfriend doesn't put his kids first, that is a red flag ladies). We will see each other tomorrow. We have plans for his birthday (not late Valentine's plans), so we will get one of our rare midweek date nights this week. However, we would have had it regardless of today's holiday. Maybe it is because I have never really celebrated it and I don't know what I am missing, but this doesn't bother me. Would I like to see him today? Of course I would. Do I think it is sweet that he wanted to make the day special for me? Yes. I am lucky to have him in my life. He shows me how much he loves me on a regular basis. I try to do the same for him. I don't necessarily need a big show on one day as proof of his love.

However you choose to celebrate the holiday, Happy Valentine's Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Best Laid Plans

Summer To Do List