Another First Christmas

My parents met at Christmas time. Mom was going caroling. Dad was probably planning to cause trouble.

That's how it all began, and it is probably why they both loved Christmas so much.

Last year, we made it through our first Christmas without Mom. It was hard, but it was still a good Christmas. Compared to the cluster that was Thanksgiving, it was a huge success.

Dad wanted to go to Christmas Eve service, so we dressed him up and headed to Woodville. I remember asking him if he was hungry before we left. The answer was no. As soon as we hit the village limits, he says he's hungry and wants McDonalds. He was too embarrassed to go in, so we bought our food at the drive through and then ate in the parking lot. I found french fries all over that rental the next day.

We made it to the church. They helped us to the handicap row, and all was well until the choir began to sing. My father completely lost it.  It was heartbreaking to see how much he missed Mom.

This year, we will be missing them both.

It will be a good Christmas. No...it will be an awesome Christmas. No matter how hard it will be or how many sad moments we face, this will be a great Christmas.

I start my Christmas here on Christmas Eve with my boyfriend's family. On Christmas Day, I will be stealing him from his family (after he gets to enjoy some of Christmas Day with his girls and family) to go and see mine.


I am not sure what our Christmas will look like in Ohio, but it will be happy. Whatever our new tradition becomes, I am glad my boyfriend will be there. I want him to be part of our new life, and our family.

It will be weird spending Christmas staying at a hotel, but I think the trip will be awesome.

There will be moments where I am sad. I will cry. I will miss them both very much. However, I am excited to see where our new tradition takes us.

Yesterday I went to buy chocolate for our stockings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Summer To Do List

Best Laid Plans