New Traditions

As I sat awake in bed last night, there were many things going through my head: getting everything done for my brother's wedding, the house, making a firm deadline for the auction of the house, my sister and how that will effect her, and suddenly a thought popped into my head: You know, I might not go to Ohio for Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure where that came from, and possibly more frightening: I thought Ohio...not home.

On 9/20/2001, I packed up the car and moved to Indianapolis. I didn't have a plan. I really didn't even have a place to live. I was just taking the opportunity to get out of Woodville and Northwest Ohio. Almost ten years later, I am still here. I always still referred to Ohio has home because that is where my parents were. I guess * technically* they still are there, but it very obviously isn't the same. By the end of the year, we will not even have a "family home" (btw: this is a good thing. I'm seriously looking forward to one less thing to worry about).

Last year Thanksgiving was pretty much an abysmal failure, but at least we were able to spend it with Dad. With him being gone, this year will be another "first" Thanksgiving without a loved one. It also means it is time to start a new tradition. I'm just not sure where I want that new tradition to be.

Of course staying here and doing Thanksgiving scares me. I have no idea what I would do. I could bring my sister here, but I am guessing my brother will want to spend it with his new in laws. It is probably way too early to even be thinking about, but my little mind just ran with it. I can come up with a list of reasons why it is a good idea (namely the driving back and forth: between the wedding, the house auction, and other little trips, Thanksgiving AND Christmas would mean LOTS of driving back and forth on my own). Even if I do go to Ohio this year, maybe it is time that I actually start treating Indy like it is home. I know I didn't plan on staying here, but after 10 years, it doesn't look like I'm leaving. This is my home now, and I should start making my new traditions here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Best Laid Plans

Summer To Do List