Great Reminders

This morning did not go well for me. I had to go into work early to take care of an issue with one of our students. First, I woke up at 4:00 and couldn't get back to sleep because I was afraid I was going to sleep though my alarm. I didn't, but pretty much anything else that could go wrong did go wrong. By the time I arrived at work, I was pretty tightly wound.

Everything felt wrong until the moment where I knew the student I came in early for thanked me for all my help. Yes, the rest of the morning was rough, but I had been successful in helping the student. This was never about me: it was about what doing what was right. I almost let my selfishness ruin a perfectly good encouraging moment: sometimes you have to realize it isn't about you. The reason I love my job is because I get to help our students. It is about them being successful not about my crappy morning.

There are certainly times where you need to take care of yourself, but you also need to be able to recognize when you need to do the *right* thing regardless of the personal negative impact. This can be a very fine line. I am learning this with the whole estate/trust stuff. Yes, I am still mourning the loss of both parents. It has been a rough 16 months for all three of us.  However, I still need to make and enforce decisions that my siblings may not like. The last thing I want is to create tension in what little bit of a family I have left. Still, I know it is the right thing to do. It is what we have to do be able to move forward. I have to put my immediate concerns aside and focus on the real issue. One or both of them may get angry with me at some point. That sucks, but we need to settle both the estate and the trust so we can actually move forward with our lives and our healing.

Sometimes it is hard to put what you want on the back burner to put someone or something else first. It has to be done though for the people we care about and the things we are passionate about. In my mind, it is the best way to show them that we care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Summer To Do List

Best Laid Plans