A Norm Update

This is going on both of the blogs...so I apologize if you see this twice.

As many of you know, my dad went back into the hospital on Tuesday (If you would like to know what hospital, ask me directly. Because of privacy concerns I'm not posting it on here, Facebook or Twitter).

The ER doctor believed it was focal seizures. These are common post stroke. They were going to keep him overnight and have the neurologist confirm the diagnosis.

They ended up keeping him longer and on Friday morning he was moved to the ICU. He was not breathing on his own.

His condition is serious. He is far from out of the woods. He is still in an induced coma, but they are slowly bringing him out of that. The doctors say it is quite possible. that once he is strong enough he should be able to breathe on his own again, but we won't know for sure until he gets stronger. We are unsure of how long he wasn't breathing on his own, so there is a chance for brain damage, but again we won't know until he wakes up. He may have had another mini stroke, but again we won't know what is going on until he wakes up.

He could wake up tomorrow. He could wake up a week from now. Now we wait. He could be just like he was before all this when he wakes up. He could have some new issues when he wakes up. We just don't know.

Regardless, we have  long week ahead of us. We hope he wakes up before I get "home" on Thursday, so we can sit down as a family and figure out our next step no matter what the outcome is. Of course we hope  he will need some sub-acute care and he'll be back at Waterford in a few weeks. We also know we may have some  tough choices to make.

We will keep everyone as updated as we can.


Popular posts from this blog

Bright Spots in a Long Week

It is going to be a long quarter

Oakwood Resort: A quick weekend getaway