What I Learned this Weekend:Mind over Matter

After 2 days of Mucinex, Excedrin Migraine, tons of water, and just choosing to focus on something else, my headache pretty much took me out of the game today. It didn't put me down for the count, but I'm just now feeling better after a day of living like a bat and not getting nearly as much done as planned.

It all started Friday. I woke up with a 2 front headache: Sinus pressure in the maxillary sinuses and a tension headache from the knot in my shoulder. Basically, the two sets of pain meet behind my eyes.

 I lost some ground Friday morning, but I  had too much to do. I was amazed by what a few drugs, water, and focusing on what needed to be done could do. That night, I was going to stay in and recover, but I decided to go out instead. It was amazing how focusing on my friends and having fun made the pain tolerable. 

Saturday, worked both jobs and that kept me distracted from the  headache that typically would have set me back a bit. The only difference was this time I was approaching it differently. It wasn't ignoring it, but I wasn't as wrapped up in it as I usually am. 

Granted, had it been a killer headache, this wouldn't have been as effective (or effective at all for the really rough ones), but it was a way to make this weekend better. Actually, it was a pretty decent weekend, and I'm glad I could enjoy it.
 
Of course today the approach wasn't as successful, but it could have been a much more miserable day.

It was a good reminder though. Sometimes you can make difficult or painful situations better just by how you choose to deal with it. Other times, things are totally out of your hands. However, if you can impact it: What are you doing?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Best Laid Plans

Summer To Do List