Fourth of July: Woodville, OH vs Sheridan, IN

Small towns tend to be interesting places to celebrate our nation's birthday. Some small towns have the big carnivals and fairs and pretty amazing fireworks shows. My hometown was one of those locations. We had the Fourth of July Festival that culminated with one heck of a fireworks show. We had carnies, townies, lots of beer, and of course fireworks. In a sick sort of way, I miss it. It is like a train wreck I can't help but like to watch. When I was invited to go to celebrate the fourth in Sheridan, IN, I took my friends up on the offer. Our initial game plan was to go to the park for the festivities, watch the fireworks, and then go to our show at the local bar. I was curious to see how Sheridan would rate. I mean it could potentially trump Woodville, but this is what I found.


The "festivities": I can't really judge these because the weather on the Fourth sucked. It rained off and on all day, so they apparently called off the activities at the park. What struck me as strange though was when we drove by, there was nothing in the park. There were no vendors or even tents up. In Woodville, the vendors would have stayed somewhat busy and there would at least be people in the beer tent.

The Beer Tent: As stated above…I don't think there was one, and if there was it was quickly disposed of. Yes, Woodville's tent lost points when the stopped serving the beer in half gallon milk jugs, but they still win.

The Fireworks: Well…Sheridan cancelled theirs. I'm a little confused though…I mean I know Woodville still fired theirs in similar if not worse conditions. So again Woodville wins.

The bar after party: This was decent. Yes Jo-Jo's back home would have been much more packed. However, the lack of fireworks kept many people home. I still had a blast though. It was nice to enjoy time with my friends and not need a shoehorn to get through the crowd. We will call this a tie.

The "Homecoming": Back home the fourth is a time where people come home. You see people you may not have seen since high school, and the more over beveraged they get the more people you barely spoke to back in the day become your best friend. I just didn't see this in Sheridan


The Commute: Woodville: You can stumble home, eat leftovers of whatever mom has made for dinner, and be asleep in your own bed by 4:00. Sheridan: I had to drive a friend's truck to Westfield (I was sober but this was still *hilarious* I could barely reach the pedals), ride to Steak and Shake in Noblesville (which was fabulous), and then the rest of the way to Fishers so I could drive myself back to Indy. I could have crashed on a couch, but my bed sounded like a better option. I crawled through the door at 6:05.

The Bottom Line: Did I have a good time? Yes. No complaints there. However, Woodville still wins the contest hands down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Best Laid Plans

Trying Something New: ThredUp