Macaroni and cheese with tuna is a tasty 'broke meal'

Broke meals are my specialty. Between growing up, college and just starting out on my own, I am familiar with making a buck stretch.


Macaroni and Cheese

My default, poor college student/just starting on my own meal is deluxe macaroni and cheese with tuna. Now I am, picky on this. It has to be the kraft deluxe shells and cheese. It is the kind that has the creamy cheese in the packet. I do like the add milk and water type, but it just doesn't work as well. Most generic and store brand versions won't work either. They just aren't creamy enough.



I add the tuna for the protein. It is like a low maintenance version of tuna noodle casserole. You have to mix it all together when the noodles are just out of the water. Heat is the key element here. The cheese sauce needs to melt quickly to cover the noodles and tuna.



The whole kraft thing makes it a little more expensive, but you can also pair it with a canned or frozen vegetable and make one box last a couple days. It has been my favorite since I was a little kid! I still sometimes make it for old times sake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Summer To Do List

Best Laid Plans