The Song Stuck in my Head

Songs in my head
At any given time, I have at least one song stuck in my head. It really does make sense. Music is one of my passions. I’ve come to terms that there will pretty much always be a soundtrack to life playing in my head. I use songs and lyrics to express my feelings, to help me cope, to make me understand, pass the time and share my thoughts. It is a key part of my life, so to always have a song on the brain isn’t abnormal. Something that always fascinates me is why is it there?

Sometimes it is just an annoying song that gets under my skin. The more I dislike the song, the harder it is to get rid of it. “It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere,” isn’t an
awful song. It is just one of those songs I’m not overly fond of. If it gets stuck in my head after a show, it will go away quickly. Now “Umbrella” is another story. That one will stick around for as long as it can.

Other times it is just a really good song. Now to be fair to Rhianna I hate “Umbrella,” but I love “Disturbia.” It isn’t odd for me to have that song on repeat in my head.

If I am trying to get the song down to sing (so I don’t totally suck a karaoke), I will go over the song again and again. I know no one is expecting me to be great at karaoke, but seeing how I’m sometimes working at the show I want to not totally tank.

Random things also trigger songs. I will see someone or something that just makes that connection. In some cases I am aware that connection exists in my head. Other times is just happens. Yesterday I had a writing prompt that asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. That instantly put Garbage’s “When I Grow Up” in my head. Now it is also a song I am trying to learn to sing.

The last reason I will have a song stuck in my head is because I am connecting it to a person, feeling or situation I am dealing with. After my last break up I played “Everything I’m Not,” on repeat to help me cope and move on. Anywhere I went, I could hear that song and the lyrics gave me strength.

I think we all use our passions to express who we are. I am lucky to have music to illustrate me and my personality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Summer To Do List

Best Laid Plans