Really, I'm a late comer to the internet world

I did not start using the internet until 1997 when I went to college. Yes, I did not have an e-mail address until I was 18. My parents aren't exactly technically inclined. We didn't have a computer until my senior year of high school. My school did not get "modern" (and I use that term VERY loosely) computers until my junior year...I think. We didn't have internet access at school. Even with our new computer at home, my parents did not think internet access was needed.

We bought a rebuilt PC for me to take to school. Almost as soon as it was connected to the network I was hooked. Our campus e-mail was on telnet. Yes, my first internet experience was with pine. Soon I was using telnet to get on IRC. Of course I took to the old chat rooms, and other primitive social sites pretty quickly. I even built a very sad looking web site using Angelfire (yes I know don't judge), and I managed to maintain it through college. The web site went unmaintained after I moved to Indianapolis. However, I was learning and building skills that are serving me well today

Sometimes I forget that I have only been using the internet for twelve years. It has been such a big part of my life, it is strange that I am really more of a newbie. I make part of my living online. I use the internet in my full time job. I even have my e-mail sent to my Blackberry and I use the internet on my phone regularly. I can't imagine my life without internet access!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Summer To Do List

Best Laid Plans