The Best Place to do Halloween: San Francisco

I have been lucky enough to go on many great vacations. I have been all over the world, and I look forward enjoying many more wonderful trips. However, my favorite has to be my Halloween trip to San Francisco.

If you like Halloween, you must spend at least one in San Francisco. This city does Halloween properly. I know not *everyone* gets into it, but enough of the people do to make it fun.



I arrived on Halloween after getting being at the airport at 5:00 a.m. eastern time. I dropped my belongings off at the Adante Hotel (where I always stay), and made my way down to the Pinecrest Diner. It is this little hole in the wall diner with a bathroom in the basement that on some days can rival the one in the movie Trainspotting on the fringe of Union Square. It is not much to look at, but the food is great. It is the place where I had my first meal on my first trip to San Francisco (on recommendation of a staffer at Adelaide Hostel). It is a tradition.



I headed back to hotel and put on my dress, wings, boots, and glitter. Pretty soon I was walking through Union Square on my way to the bus stop. It wass strange because if I walked through Monument Circle at dusk...even on Halloween...in a beaded dress and wings people would have gawked and laughed.Here people looked, but the only gawkers were fellow tourists.



When I hopped on the bus, pretty much everyone on it was in costume. That was awesome! I met up with friends in line at a club called Death Guild. There were so many costumes and decorations, I was in a little Goth heaven. We secured a table up on the landing, and I enjoyed sitting up there and people watching. We danced and had fun. They had an awesome emcee and fun entertainment.



Out of the whole club I only found one other person wearing the same wings I was wearing. Some costumes were plain, some were extravagant, and some were disturbing.There were two guys dressed up as Poison Ivy and Harely Quinn from Batman...and of course there were one or two over beveraged guys who thought they were girls.



At the end of the night we tried to call a cab, but there was a long wait. We told the cab company to pick us up at a near by diner. We sat there and ate french fries...well my friends did. I was exhausted. It was now 4:00 Pacific time. I have been up for 26 hours, and the only thing keeping me upright is my wings. By the time they dropped me off at the hotel, I was in zombie mode. It was well worth it.



I woke up the next morning to find my bedding sparkling, and a trail glitter from the front door, through the living room area, into the bathroom, back out into the living room and into the bedroom. That was a proud moment.



The rest of the week was low key in comparison. I had a fabulous hotel room. They had given me a great returning guest rate, and then after one of my reviews was published they upgraded me to a king suite.I enjoyed walking around Chinatown, shopping in Union Square and the Haight, took fabulous pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge and Golden Gate Park and went to my favorite book store in the Mission. It was the perfect week.



I look forward to being able to make a trip like this again soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Best Laid Plans

Summer To Do List