Would you survive with out a cell phone?

Had you asked me *before* I bought my Blackberry if I would mind going a day with out my cellphone, I would have said no. Unfortunately, I have become one of those smartphone people.My life is on my phone. My calendar, contacts, e-mail, and more are on my phone. I have no issues about going a few hours with out it. There are places where being on your phone is inappropriate. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people think they are too important or just plan refuse to shut of their cell phones.



I did have to go without my phone, sort of, for part of a day. Honestly, I would not have been a big deal at all on any given day. Had my cell phone broken while I was at work, I would have just put it in my purse. I could go to the Sprint store after work and get it replaced. Nothing was really that pressing that I had to get it replaced NOW. Yes, it is my only phone line, so getting it replaced was a priority, but I would not have panicked.



I was at a conference in downtown Chicago. My boss had sent me a text, and as I flipped open my clamshell phone to respond, my phone fell apart. There has been a tiny cosmetic (or at least we had thought it was cosmetic) crack on the hinge. When I flipped open the phone the crack became a huge issue as that corner of the phone unattached from the base. The side with the wire was still in tact, but you had to hold the phone together with two hands to get it to work.



Again, this wouldn't have been an issue at all had I been home. I needed to get in contact with my boss (in Indy), and I was driving alone from Chicago to Indianapolis the next day. I know that people traveled solo for centuries before the cell phone. Trust me. I felt like the world's biggest hypocrite. I get annoyed with mothers who refuse to turn off their phones because "their child is at school/with a sitter/home alone" because my mom...and many mothers before her managed to survive without a cell phone. Now I was being just as bad. I held my phone together long enough to text my boss, and then after the day's final session, I asked the front desk for the closest Sprint store.



My lack of cell phone wasn't a huge deal...but I know if my Blackberry died today, I would not be nearly as understanding! I know it is pathetic. I'm not important enough for a real personal assistant. However, my phone does a fabulous job. It helps me run my business when I cannot get to my laptop or an internet connection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Summer To Do List

Best Laid Plans