No major scars but my nose is broken

I really do not have a "fun" scar. I have little ones here and there, but it isn't anything to write home about. It isn't that I am not a huge klutz, I just have been lucky in the scarring department. However, I have broken my nose...twice.


Busted Nose

How does one break their nose twice? Very carefully. I do not have some harrowing abuse story. I cannot claim it is from a car accident. I'm just "talented." The first time I broke my nose it was the summer between sixth and seventh grade. I was playing softball. I had ALWAYS wanted to play catcher, but my coaches always thought I wouldn't be good enough and I was banished to right field. I wasn't a great softball player. My depth perception helped me be an abysmal hitter. I probably would have been a better fielder had they not put me in the outfield. Seriously part of the reason I sucked was because I was not paying attention. I was out there, alone, and my over creative mind would just run with things. This summer Coach Hayward took a chance and let me catch. Amazingly, I was actually pretty good. Of course, I wasn't as good as Susie, the girl who had been "the catcher" since we were six, but I was pretty good. Playing catcher kept me busy and focused. One night we were playing Genoa, and I went to tag a girl out as she ran home. This girl was at least a foot taller than me and probably had a good 70 pounds on me. She lowered her shoulder into my face mask to get me to drop the ball. Well I didn't, but she managed to knock me into the chain link fence and my face mask in the opposite direction. The girl was ejected from the game. All I remember about the rest of the night is listening to said girl's mother complain to the umpire about it being my own fault and accusing me of hogging the plate...and that I played the whole game. We were a small team, and a good number of the girls were on vacation. If they took me out of the game we had to forfeit. From what I have been told, I played really well.



The other time, I was in college. It was football season (yes I watched every painful Eastern Michigan football season from 1997-2000 from the sidelines), and I was in color guard. After every game the band would go down to the track and do post game. This wasn't a surprise. We did it EVERY GAME, and it was late in the season. I'm down on the track doing my routine when I see a cheerleader approaching. She's just chatting away with the girl next to her and is oblivious to the five and half foot poles flying every where. I know if I hit her it would probably really hurt. I made adjustments to not hit her, and in my grace ended up hitting myself. There is time number two Ugh..I just should have hit the cheerleader.



So my nose is broken in two places. Luckily, the first one was never obviously noticeable. The second place is on the other side of my nose. Now they sort of just even themselves out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Best Laid Plans

Summer To Do List