My Writing Soundtrack

When I was writing both my novel, I had a playlist I listened to every night. They were songs that reminded me of a character or part of the story, and songs that kept me motivated. I was inspired to so this by the movie “Garden State.” The soundtrack was just so perfect, it made me wonder if my novel had a soundtrack, what would it be?

I started making a play list on my I-POD, and pretty soon my list was well over twenty songs. As I kept writing, the list kept growing. Music has always been a huge part of my life. I was constantly finding new meaning and inspiration. I honestly do not think I could have finished it without that little bit of help from my “soundtrack.”

I wrote most of the novel on my old computer. I had the playlist and the list on a text file. Since then that computer has died (more so imploded). I did manage to get all my important files off that PC, but the list was lost. I can still see it on my IPOD, but it just isn’t the same. The important thing is that I still have the music. I’ve added new songs to the mix, but that playlist is still keeps me going.
At one point, I considered starting the list over. Not all the songs from the first novel will be applicable to all my fiction work. Sometimes one song will be about a single character. If I never use the character again, the song may not be relevant. I even tried making a new list, but I just ended up mixing it with the original. Even with new ideas, stories and characters, the old music is still my foundation. It reminds me of who I am, why I write, and what I have created in the past. It is important to me to have that be part of my creative process. It keeps me focused and driven. Plus is fuels my soul. When I am totally out of good ideas, the music can put me back on track.
My first novel soundtrack may have started with “Absolutely” by Nine Days, taken a sardonic turn with “Two Points for Honesty” and other gems by Guster and Idlewild, talked about heartache with “Pretending to Heal” by Seth Horan, and hit home with “Life Got in the Way” by Sister Hazel. However, my current work is growing and developing because of my attachment to the songs. Now I keep my ears open for new songs to add to the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

Summer To Do List

Best Laid Plans